Re: rear end shims/clunk

To: "Diane S." <cessna@speakeasy.org>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: rear end shims/clunk
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 07:45:28 -0700
Diane,

Earlier, you had implied that the problem with your differential was just
the ubiquitous "clunk" heard when first engaging a gear from standstill, or
when changing from 1st to reverse. If that's all that's wrong, the
replacement of the thrust washers, also as discussed earlier, will most
likely solve that problem - and that is not a particularly difficult task.

However, if the shops that you called are recommending that you change your
entire rear axle, perhaps you are describing a different problem to them?
What exactly is the problem that you are trying to resolve?

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center