Stiff Brakes

To: eric@erickson.on.net
Subject: Stiff Brakes
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 01:17:30 GMT
If you want to feel stiff brakes, drive a Citroen with the Hydropneumatic
(or whatever they spelled/called it). The pedal is rock solid because there
is a feedback mechanism which equalises the pedal position. As you push
harder on the pedal, you get more pressure in the brakes and more pressure
pushing back on the pedal.

I would not say however this gives any greater feel for the brakes, but it
does give a possibly mistaken feel of confidence.

Modern cars, with ABS, servos, etc., all have brake pedals much softer than
they used to be. I find the ABS brakes on my '97 Voyager most disconcerting
-- the fact that I cannot stomp on the pedal and lock up the wheels laves me
feeling uncertain about their stopping ability.

Stiffer brake padals may make heel-and-toeing easier? Otherwise, so long as
it does not hit the floor, or cannot trap somthing (the driver's left foot),
I don't see any advantage to a stiff pedal.

Simon