RE: Pertronix Ignitor failure

To: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@cyberlink.com>,
Subject: RE: Pertronix Ignitor failure
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 23:27:55 -0600
>Were you all just driving merrily down the road and  suddenly backfireing and
shuddering occurred. Or did something short out and cause
>these things to malfunction?

The first one self destructed (yes, while driving the car), the collar that
holds the magnets came apart.

My second one quit while I was driving the car, just after a prolonged period of
being parked with the engine running (under hood temps quite high).

> How many miles did they have on them?

Hundreds, not thousands.

> Were these all the exact same type of units?

Mine were, they were for a Lucas 25D distributor.

> How about the warrantee coverage?

I bought my Pertronix from Moss, when the first one came apart I called
Pertronix to see if it could be re-assembled (don't try this at home) they
insisted on sending me a new one; but like I mentioned it too broke.  After the
second one broke I called Moss Motors to order some parts, including points,
when the Moss sales guy heard my plight with the Pertronix he asked me to return
it for a credit, I did.

Larry Hoy