Re: Almost enough cooling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Almost enough cooling
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 20:11:21 +0000
Larry Colen wrote:

> I had a fun day at Thunderhill yesterday.

Grrrrr... I will forever regret being a few miles away but not being
able to take up Larry's offer of running at Thunder Hill!

> When running at speed, my temperature guage would just peg itself at
> the hot end.  With the new sensor, it does seem to read a bit hotter
> than it did with the old sensor, and the car never messily overheated,
> but I'd like to improve the situation before the Labor Day race.

OK, here is my weekend racing/sprint day coolant story...

I was without the 'B in the week leading up to raceday on Sunday because
I was having its fancy rollbar (half-cage) designed, built and fitted
but managed to pick it up on the Saturday afternoon - hardly enough time
to do all the fiddling one usually wants to do with a car before racing
it.

When I had dropped that car off, I was losing coolant and it seemed to
be coming from the vicinity of the radiator cap.  So I fitted my
emergency spare top hose (just in case) and pick up another cap and a
new top hose (just in case). I fit the new radiator cap and head off to
the track.  At the track the new top hose appears to be leaking around
the ends and, as it isn't a perfect fit anyway, I fit the NEW HOSE and
head out to do my practice laps.

5,500 rpm in third gear and with the back end slipping out a bit around
a very fast right hand curve... I am confronted with a windscreen full
of coolant and a cloud of steam.  Of course this distraction throws me a
bit so I promptly do a 180 slip and slide off the next turn (an
immediate left hand sweeping curve) and find myself sitting in the
infield in a cloud of dust and steam.

THE DAMAGE: a BURST top hose and a fractured top pipe!

THE MORAL: A cap may show the correct pounds pressure - but check the
length of the spring.  Don't rush your raceday preparations.

I borrowed another top hose and correct cap and finished the day with my
fastest times ever (filling her radiator after every 4 lap sprint).  I
was told it looked pretty spectacular from an audience perspective,
anyway :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII