Re: Almost enough cooling

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: Almost enough cooling
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:15:57 -0700
On Mon, Aug 14, 2000 at 08:11:21PM +0000, Eric wrote:
> Larry Colen wrote:
> >
> > I had a fun day at Thunderhill yesterday.
> >

> Grrrrr... I will forever regret being a few miles away but not being
> able to take up Larry's offer of running at Thunder Hill!

You'll just have to arrange your next business trip out here so that you
can come play.  For what it's worth, I'm generally pretty open to loaning
my car to fellow enthusiasts who are visiting from out of town, the rental
fee being that if I'm visiting in your area, I get to play with one of your
toys. Oh yeah, and if you break it you fix it.

> > When running at speed, my temperature guage would just peg itself at
> > the hot end.  With the new sensor, it does seem to read a bit hotter
> > than it did with the old sensor, and the car never messily overheated,
> > but I'd like to improve the situation before the Labor Day race.

I just talked with a friend who vintage races an MGB.  He has a bunch of
parts (he sort of runs an MG junkyard as a side line business, in San Jose
Paul Watts 408-294-7192) and I figured I'd get a thrashed radiator from
him and have it recored with extra rows.  He told me that he tried that
and that it didn't work. Apparently the trick is to get a late model water
pump pulley which will slow down the water pump. The problem is that the
water pumps the water through the radiator too fast at high speed.  I'm not
quite sure how this works because it seems to me that there is a certain
amount of water in the radiator the whole time, but maybe it takes time
for convection to actually cool the water away from the edges of the tubes.
Anyone know enough thermodynamics to explain this to an ignorant EE?

> OK, here is my weekend racing/sprint day coolant story...
>
> THE DAMAGE: a BURST top hose and a fractured top pipe!
>
> THE MORAL: A cap may show the correct pounds pressure - but check the
> length of the spring.  Don't rush your raceday preparations.

Amen brother!

    Larry

--
Million Monkey Software -
Our code sucks, but you should see this thing we wrote called Hamlet.