Re: OD

To: "Charley & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: Re: OD
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 07:37:41 -0700
Charley........

"diversity of temperatures"? I can't think of two places in the country
(where MGBs would be in regular use, anyway) where the temperatures vary as
much as the temperature variation inside an engine. Some of the passageways
and ports inside an overdrive unit are so small that it seems a straight 30
weight oil can circulate more easily, while providing adequate strength and
lubricating qualities for the gearbox.

That, at any rate, is my logic for using straight 30wt rather than 20-50,
although it is tempered by the fact that I believe shop manuals that stated
"engine oil" were first written before the common usage of multi-weight
oils.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center