RE: Stopping rust

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Stopping rust
From: Enrique Claure <spanlab@ceibo.entelnet.bo>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:56:31 -0700
Walt, Kelvin is dead on. The alcohol is causing problems. Even if it were
absolute alcohol the OH on the end promotes oxidation.  I use a product
called oxisolv that leaves zinc phosphate on the metal.

First I sand and make sure all the rust is gone. I then clean the part with
a highly volatile solvent that will not leave a film. Then I heat the part
with a blow dryer to make sure all traces of solvent are gone and
immediately apply oxisolve.  I let the part dry until a light gray film
appears. Ready for the primer and paint.  Enrique

  At 12:11 p.m. 17/08/2000 -0700, Dodd, Kelvin wrote:
>Walt:
>
>         I'd suggest picking up a good auto body book for some professional
>advice.  There are also a lot of really good web sites.
>
>         You are doing a couple of things wrong.  The rubbing alcohol
>contains water, which is not the best thing to be putting on the exposed new
>surface.  There is a product called Prepsol, which is designed for cleaning
>the painted surface first before you push the silicones and tars into the
>metal with the sandpaper.
>
>         The self etch primer, is a reasonable way to go for spot repairs,
>but not as good as a properly etched surface.  The main problem is that a
>primer is porous.  It is designed to absorb the top coat of paint for full
>bonding.  Primer paint are not a barrier for water or oxidation.  The primer
>must be covered by some kind of barrier coating.
>
>         One step products such as "Extend" by Permatex contain a conversion
>product, which chemically converts the rust, and a barrier material, in this
>case Latex (I believe).  POR is another product that converts, then coats
>with a moisture setting barrier coat.
>
>         Check out some of the available material.  You want to convert the
>rust, then protect the damaged panel from moisture and oxidation with a
>secure barrier coating.
>

>Kelvin.
>
> > I have been slooowwwwlllly fixing the body on the 77 and cannot seem
> > to stop the rust.  Sand down to bare metal, clean well with alcohol
> > (rubbing alcohol, not drinking), and then primer with what's called
> > self-etching primer.  Supposed to bond to the bare metal.  In all
> > cases, rust is coming through the primer after less than 1 month.
> > Is there some type of primer that will stop the rust?  Or is there
> > some other method I should use when removing dents/scratches?
> > TIA
> >
> > Walt Goddard
> > waltcpa@sierra.net

SPAN Inc HeadQuarter