Re: Cross Member

To: JPazol@TEAL.COM, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, 2cam <mgatwincam@egroups.com>,
Subject: Re: Cross Member
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:18:08 -0700
Joel:

Yes, my twin came frame has two sloted holes in the top of the cross member and
two large, about 1 1/2 inch holes, in the bottom directly under these sloted
holes.

Did you ever see the email floating around about the fact that the distance
between the rails of railroads is based on the distance between the asses of
Roman chariot horses?  If so, then here is my theory why those holes exist.

I went out and checked the distance between those sloted holes in the front
cross member of the twin cam.  I then went and checked the two sloted holes on
my MG TD.  Yep, the same and with the same large holes in the bottom.

The TD frame has a bracket welded to the back of the crossmember on which the
front engine mount fastens.  I measured the distance between the mounting bolts
of the TD front engine mount.  Yep the same distance as the holes in the frame.

The TD frame was derived from the Y type.  The MGA protype UMG400 used an XPAG
engine.

Theory:  The holes are vestiges of the original mounting place for the XPAG
engine in the Y type.  Waste not want not, or why the diameter of booster
rockets on the space shuttle are based on the distance between the ass holes of
two Roman chariot horses.

Does anyone have a Y type which can verify this?

Blake