Re: Anyone try to modify a B for a rear child's seat?

To: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Anyone try to modify a B for a rear child's seat?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 08:13:54 -0700
The safety issues are obviously what need to be addressed - I know it'd be
vulnerable in a rollover (well, we all would be vulnerable in a rollover in
that car).  This morning I was thinking about it and thought about the wind.

My original thought was strapping in a child's car seat, which would keep
the head level comparable to everyone elses, and generally out of the wind
(not above windshield level), and not formally having a regular car seat
there - this would save me 6 inches of height which would make all the
difference, but I had no idea if this was legal or not.  I mean, a regular
child's car seat buckles to a regular seat, which really just acts as a
place to put him, and offers no special protection itself, so in theory
there's no reason why you can't just put the baby seat in the back resting
on the battery cover, say, provided it's properly secured and strapped and
all.  But I didn't know what special regulations would apply (I know it
would vary by state anyway), or if anyone had tried this.

No, I wasn't thinking of installing an adult seat back there - that would
put it way too high up.

- Tab