MGA Block-coolant galleries

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA Block-coolant galleries
From: "Edwin McCarroll" <emccarroll@mco.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:35:18 -0400
Is there a solution recommended for flushing out the head and block coolant
galleries?    I really can't tell if there is any blockage, partial or
otherwise, in the system, but thought that either a strong alkaline or mildly
acidic solution might dissolve anything adverse that might be in the way.   The
engine is in the car.   I have isolated the engine from the heater and radiator
and removed the thermostat.   I have tried other routes towards better cooling,
including adding another row to the radiator, and trying a seven lb. cap.
Also water wetter.   Things have improved, but still am experiencing a gradual
climb in temp. at 60mph. over time.   Timing seems to be ok.   Any suggestions?