Re: choke cable trouble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: choke cable trouble
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <xirias@hol.gr>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 11:30:52 +0300
Many thanks to all the people who gave ideas on this.

I didn't replace the cable, it's not a very easy task, even with both seats
removed and me lying down on the floor, head under the wiper motor or steering
column. Man, I'm 6'1" tall and exercising my contortionist skills with this car!
(seat removal was necessary because of the pet dog the PO used to keep in the
car)

Routed the cable sheath through the "high" grommet to the right of the large
quasi-rectangular plug behind the master cylinders, lubricated it with many
spray squirts of white lithium grease as I pushed the entire cable through it
and now it works a little bit better. It's rather long though and I'm sure it
will chafe against the bonnet once that is closed. Will have to trim it down a
little bit but that trunnion and screw is a real pain to play with. Whoever
heard of 5.5mm open spanners?

Finally should the "beak" shaped metal of the throttle linkage touch the choke
linkage spindle when throttle is fully closed or the usual 0.30mm clearance
applies? That would place a little bit less stress on the choke linkage
mechanism.

Evangelos
73 BGT