History of badge bars?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: History of badge bars?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:00:58 -0700
I've been debating putting on a badge bar.  I like the look of them on
other cars, yet still would feel a mite pretentious putting one on my own
(probably because one wasn't there when I got the vehicle).  It's also a
rubber-bumber B, so it doesn't seem quite as natural as a chrome would with
a badge bar, but I could probably manage that.  Also I would only put on
generic stuff - it seems a little presumptious to put on, say, an RAC badge
without actually being a member of the RAC.

That said, I'm wondering about the history of the badge bar, and badges
themselves.  I've seen them on Mercedes, so did this originate in Europe
and, if so, does anyone know with what car or what event?  Are there
certain traditions associated with them?  They're obviously for cars the
owner is proud of, for whatever reason (cost or quality).  Were badges
specific to car clubs, or did certain events also beget badges?

Any trivia, lore, history, etc., appreciated...

Thanks

- Tab