Re: [pub] My First Time.....and Pub Registry...

To: paulbentz@home.com
Subject: Re: [pub] My First Time.....and Pub Registry...
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:08:23 -0500

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:10:29 -0700 "Paul" <paulbentz@home.com> writes:
> There's an English restaurant and pub in my town called Ye Olde Ship.
> I have never eaten there, but someday I would like to go there, in
> the
> Jaguar of course, and park it right outside next to the red
> telephone booth.
> I have never eaten British food, except for water crackers, but I
> have heard
> of the somewhat bad reputation of British cooking. Does anyone have
> any
> suggestions on what dishes I should try first?
> Thanks,
> Paul

I traveled to England a couple of years ago and was quite pleased with
the availability and quality of food, especially when compared to my
earlier experience when I lived there in the early 70's.  Back then, few
pubs served much besides drink, and usually bad, mass produced,
pre-wrapped meat pies and sausage rolls (ick!).  The "fast food" (take
away)  places could be really awful, although if you found a real Fish &
Chips shop (difficult even then) it might be fantastic. I've also had
some fabulous traditional British foods in people's homes.  When
home-cooked with fresh ingredients some of the meat pies, Yorkshire
pudding, etc. are wonderful.  I'm partial to Cornish Pasties, one of the
first things to try but only if made on the premises.

Avoid Blood Pudding (that's really what it is) or Spotted Dick (that's
not really what it is, but who cares?).

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD