Re: Weber vs SU

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber vs SU
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:14:30 EDT
First, it's Weber, singular, not Webers, plural, unless you have a crossflow
head or a real MG (Twincam).

Second, the DGV is not a performance carb. It has it's place in the late cars
that have a brake servo right where you'd want to put carbs, I guess, but
personally, I'd move the servo and fit twin SUs from an earlier car.

As for the sidedraft Weber, I will quote the special tuning manual (AKD
4034L), p. 23 - "The improvement to be gained by fitting the Weber
carburetter is marginal, with some slight loss at the lower rpm".

They are talking about an engine with race cam and 11.7 compression, not a
stock engine. Fitting one to a stock engine is a complete waste of time
(except for the company selling it to you). You might gain (literally) 1 bhp
at top end. Not what I'd call a cost effective modification, but you still
see many people putting them on (and usually getting worse driveability and
mileage) just for the 'wow' factor that the name recognition gives them what
they say 'Weber'.

If you really want more power, and have done all the other things you need to
do to make the engine capable of using more air/fuel. I'd suggest fitting a
pair of HS6 SUs.

And it's not that I have anything against Webers - I use a pair of them on
each of my race cars.

Bill S.