urgent advice needed PLEASE!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: urgent advice needed PLEASE!
From: Chris Rose <chris_rose@totalise.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 12:26:02 +0000
Hi

I wonder if anyone can offer me any advice.

I posted recently about my flood damaged 1963 B, and received a variety of
very useful information with respect to getting her back up and running.

I promised to e-mail again when I had got more information from the garage,
and now is, unfortunately, this time.

The car was at a garage being repaied when it was flooded, and, as a result,
is covered under their insurance. However, due to the nature of the damage to
that area of the country, the loss adjusters have been rather busy and are
only just about to visit the cars.

However, the major problem is that because the river water had also been
contaminated with sewage, its become an issue for the Environment Agency in
the UK.
Now for the really bad news. The vast majority of the other cars within the
industrial estate that were flooded and have already been inspected by the
loss adjusters from the insurance companies have been classified by the EA as
class A write offs.

This means, in basic terms, the car has been contaminated and has to be
REMOVED AND DESTROYED! There appears to be no way of getting around this issue
and so I want to get some advice.

Firstly, I don't want the car destroyed! As I said, as well as being my pride
and joy, its also been in the family 20 years and the thought of it being
crushed just for the sake of refitting the interior (surely everything else
can be washed down??) is ridiculous.

Secondly, as the adjuster has not yet visited, should I bite the bullet and
just move the car away from the garage and make all the repairs myself
(obviously this would have to be out of my own pocket as insurance is a no no
for this incident)

Thirdly, all the other cars on the estate were 'normal' cars, and not classics
(remember we are talking about MGA's and other really nice and much more
valuable cars than mine as well) and the garage are going to argue that
writing them all off when they can be economically repaired is a total over
reaction.

Does anyone have any advice about what I should do? I am still stuck out of
the country, but am back this weekend and so if I am going to move the car it
would have to be then.

I really am at my wits end, and am hoping someone can offer some advice. Does
anyone know anything about the Environment Agency in the UK and how this bit
of legislation actually works?

Cheers for any info from anyone.

Extremely unhappy Chris

1963 Soon to be crushed(?) MGB