Re: somebody explain shifting and RPM to me

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: somebody explain shifting and RPM to me
From: eric@erickson.on.net
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:31:25 +0930
> You mean Saturns still have this light?? I had a car that had one (can't
> remember if it was my 86 Jetta or my 82 Colt) but it was really a nuisance
> until it was taped over.

Yep, the 'econoguage' or 'economy guage' was a big thing for a while here.  My
'86 XE Ford Falcon Station Wagon has one of these with markings for 'POWER' and
'ECONOMY'... I can't remember ever seriously looking at it while driving yet it
is the same size (and right beside) my speedo.

Why couldn't they just call it a 'vacuum' guage and calibrate it properly -
with
the extraneous 'ECONOMY' label added for good measure if they really wanted to.

That valuable dash real estate could have taken a tacho much more usefully.

Hey, there are many times when I drive with my eyes constantly on my combined
temp/oil pressure guage and my tacho in the 'B - I rarely need ANY other guages
in that car (who needs to know the exact speed you are doing? - the cops are
there to tell you that!)

Eric
'68MGB MkII