Re: [Tube Axle hub nut socket] - Tools - 1970 MGB

To: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>,
Subject: Re: [Tube Axle hub nut socket] - Tools - 1970 MGB
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 19 Dec 00 19:06:53 EST
Nearly two months ago, I <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net> wrote:
> I need to replace my hubs to go with my new wheels; to do this I need a
> 1 and 5/16 inch socket with a thin enough wall that it will fit inside
> the hub.
>
> Net-wisdom a few months agosaid that Craftsman,Mac,Snap-on all had pieces
> that would work.
>
>Well,scratch Craftsman.They only make thru 1 and 1/4 in a 1/2" drive, and
>all their 3/4"drive sockets are thick wall.Apparently, the primary use (at
>least around here)for these big sockets is tractor lug nuts,and thin wall
> sockets were not lasting too long...
>
> So, it looks like it's down to Mac and Snap-on.

The car in question is a 1970 MGB.

Various people on the list agreed that Mac or Snap-on sockets would work, some
suggested S&K and others suggested turning the craftsman socket at a machine
shop.

Other projects intervened (new floors, for one) and when I returned to the
rear hubs, I went ahead and ordered a Snap-on 1 &5/16, 1/2 inch drive socket.
It arrived today, and it doesn't fit down the bore of the hub.

HELP!

Are newer hubs heavier, thicker-walled?  Are newer sockets?  Am I doomed?
The bore of the hub appears to be 1 and 11/16 inches (measured with a tape
measure, not a micrometer) and the Snap-on socket about 1 and 3/4.

Do these figures sound right?

Help!

Matt