Replace the Twin Batteries or Not?

To: MG Digest <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replace the Twin Batteries or Not?
From: Dave <hearts@radiks.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 13:08:44 -0600
OK everybody time for that discussion again.  I have come to the
conclusion that the twin 6 volt batteries in my '74B are toast.    The
local auto battery place (Battery Patrol) said they could order me two
model 17HF 6 volt 36 month batteries for $88.00 each.  They would have
440 cranking amps and 350 cold cranking amps. Does this sound like the
right spec?  Now the other question is, do I convert to a single 12 volt
battery or stay authentic and go with the two 6's.  Are there any
special considerations in converting to a single 12 volt?  If I stay
with the 6's, should I just order two from VB?  My gut tells me to stay
authentic and bite the bullet and buy two batteries.

Any advice is appreciated.

Dave Ciaccio