Re: Replace the Twin Batteries or Not?

To: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>, Dave <hearts@radiks.net>
Subject: Re: Replace the Twin Batteries or Not?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 15:00:18 -0600
At 12:37 PM 12/23/2000 -0700, David Councill wrote:
>I am still an advocate for the dual batteries, but at that cost, ....
>Personally, I always liked the uniqueness of the two 6 volts in series,
plus the added power in the cold cranking amps. ....

When one 6-volt battery has a rating of 350 CCA, then two in series will
still have 350 CCA capability, juat at 12 volts instead of 6 volts.  The
newer tech 12 volt batteries typically have about 600 CCA rating, which
means they will crank your car a bit quicker at a slightly higher voltage
in cold weather.  However, the single 12 volt battery will have less total
amper-hour storage capacity than the twin 6's, so if you have to crank on
it a lot when it doesn't start right away, or if you leave the lights on,
then the single battery will run down flat in less time.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg