Re: Replace the Twin Batteries or Not?

To: Dave <hearts@radiks.net>, MG Digest <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Replace the Twin Batteries or Not?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2000 12:37:32 -0700
I am still an advocate for the dual batteries, but at that cost, I would
either look elsewhere or go for the group 26 single battery. Here in
Montana, I have a local battery store that sold me several 17HF batteries
for about $45 each, most recently about two years ago. They are 36 month
350 cca batteries. I have been buying from this same place for almost 20
years and the batteries typically last about 5 years.

I did convert one of my BGTs to a Sears Diehard Group 26 and it seemed to
work pretty good until my son wrecked the car. Its a tight fit and you need
to watch for the bottom lip that could keep the battery from fitting in the
case. Also, a strap is very beneficial so you can get the battery back out
if necessary.

Personally, I always liked the uniqueness of the two 6 volts in series,
plus the added power in the cold cranking amps. However, if you live in an
area where it doesn't get below zero (F), the single 12 volt battery will
work just as well and it doesn't involve any irreversible alteration in
your car. You can always go back to the two 6 volts later if you are not
satisfied.

If you do go with the 12 volt, use the money you save and buy the plastic
battery boxes first. They offer two advantages - one, you will be able to
use one to insure the 12 volt battery will fit before you buy it (which is
what I did at Sears). Two, you will have a nice storage compartment in the
one empty battery case.

David Councill
67 BGT (dual batteries)
71 BGT (parts car)