Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 13:17:29 -0500
I am not trying to be obstinate, but why would a spinner get tighter from
driving the car forward as opposed to backward? Stopping and starting torques
have been discussed. My experience has been that stock spinners tend to
gradually loosen with use. I also know from experience the stock setup can and
will unscrew if the splines fail, and I have proposed a theory as to why they
do so. But what possible force could be twisting the spinner if the splines
are not spun? Am I missing something here?

I can imagine a tiny amount of play may exist between the splines which could
allow the wheel to twist the spinner, and this could/would/will eventually
loosen the spinner. But this play would be exceedingly small with good
splines, if it exists at all. And if it does exist, it will tend to undo ANY
spinner, regardless of its LH-RH thread type. This is why ALL spinners need to
be checked periodically. BTW, a fine thread spinner is less subject to
loosening than the coarse, due to the increased force the fine thread spinner
applies to the wheel if both are equally torqued. This explains the switch
from 8 TPI spinners to 12 TPI spinners found on later models.

I don't follow your reasoning here, and would very much like to understand if
there is a mechanical principle I am overlooking.

thanks again,

Dave P
70B