Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 15:41:18 -0500
Curiouser and curiouser! The MGB in my garage has RH threads on the Left side
hubs, and vise versa. It would seem the mythical tightening force may indeed
be spoke related, if it exists at all. Your car has hubs oriented the "wrong"
way, which means the wheels will not unscrew the spinners if the splines fail
while braking.

Some say the momentum of the spinner is tightening the hub during braking. I
don't think it does, but what do I know? I look at the hub, imagine it
spinning, and then stopping suddenly. If the spinner was on loosely, it would
UNSCREW itself, not tighten itself.

Here's an impressive post from a sunbeam list which supports the stock setup
using newtonian physics (not to say its correct, but the person put a lot of
work into it):

http://www.listquest.com/lq/view.cgi?ln=sunbeamalpine&sp=21&q=splines+hubs+wi
re+wheels&b=1&s=1&o=0&x=21&y=7&mid=16754

Dave
70B