Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>, "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: wheel hubs on the "wrong" side
From: "David Pennington" <racerx23@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 14:51:16 -0500
thanks Jeff!

Can't say that I follow the logic of the mysterious tightening force, but it
looks like it may have to do with the spoke design. Anyway, it will be easy
enough to test and see if its real or not. It would also be fairly easy to
test a "wrong way" setup in the same manner. Just tap the spinner on lightly,
and see if it tightens itself further or not. It may well be that the locking
action exists, I am merely looking to see if it can be observed or not. From
what I can remember, the spinners need a tap every now and then, which would
seem to indicate that they do not self-tighten. This may be due to the fact
that my previous cars had worn splines. We'll see.

I found the following quote interesting: "There are people who deny the very
existence of this locking action and presumably attribute left and right hand
threads to cussedness on the part of the manufacturer. They are, no doubt the
ones who bash their locking caps with heavy hammers."

Makes me wonder what I would be accused of for questioning the existence of
the "locking action"?

here's some spline wheel info I found which is also very helpful...

http://www.listquest.com/lq/view.cgi?ln=mgs&mid=12912&sp=&q=left+hand+spinner
&b=1&s=1&o=0&x=34&y=10

Dave P
1970 MGB