Re: paint?

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, Doug <dprather@centurytel.net>
Subject: Re: paint?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 09:42:15 -0500
Phil/Doug

Seeing your thread I thought you might be interested in my experience.
I am doing a proper resto job and I started with a 1970 MGB GT shell.  It
was stripped bare, then dipped so it went down to bare metal.  WOW what a
mess.  The pristine shell was a somewhat holy!  I put on all sorts of new
panels (obtained at 1/4 of the price from member of list) and it was
professionally done. Result? Brand new shell if not better.  Now it is
being painted by a slow but perfectionist chap (he does museum cars)  He is
very very experienced and chats on paint for hours.  He maintains that a
good (expensive) epoxy primer must be used on a CLEAN base (thus the
dipping)  He says that prep is what makes the paint job, which I have heard
many times before!  The top coat he said is the easy part.  Cost?  Well it
is in Canadian so States-side bods multiple by 0.65.
Dipping $1,200
Body work $5,700
Paint $4,500
Panels $600

At 08:56 PM 1/26/01 -0700, Phil Bates wrote:
>My recommendation is that you first talk to the paint shop you are going to
>use.  I know that the guy I use does a great job on my cars, and he is a bit
>expensive.  However, I also know that the most important thing in a good paint
>job is proper prep.  I've asked my local paint and body guy about doing
>similar
>things, and he says that if I want to strip it, ok;  remove body panels - ok,
>but don't try the filler job or the primer job because he wants to
>guarentee his
>work, and will not do so if someone wants to prime, and fill themselves.  As a
>matter of fact, he won't even take the job if I primer it myself (unless I let
>him sand it all back off).  And I offered to use Wurth 98% zinc - epoxy
>primer -
>about the best stuff you can buy.
>
>Phil Bates
>52 MG-TD replica (VW)
>58 MGA
>66 Citroen DS21 Pallas
>66 Land Rover 88
>67 MGB
>69 porsche 911T targa (soon to be converted to soft window)
>75 Jaguar XJ12C
>
>Doug wrote:
>
> > I'm stripping a '65 B to the frame and have a few paint questions. The plan
> > is to disassemble the B now, and then started stripping and painting the
> > bits and pieces come Summer. I'll eventually have the body painted at a
> shop
> > when I'm ready to put it all back together, but what about the seat frames,
> > inside the wings, under the dash, etc.? Can I pull it off with spray paint?
> >
> > Anyone recommend a good paint for cockpit interior? And what about heavy
> > weather areas like under the wings?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Doug Prather
> >
> > '65 pull handle B