Re: paint?

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: paint?
From: Chris Thompson <ct@cthompson.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:11:54 -0500
Barrie, a quick question on the dipping process. I have a 1973 B roadster
with no fewer than 5 coats of paint. I sanded a small area down to metal and
count ten separate color layers, so assuming every other one is primer,
that'd be five.

My goal was to strip the whole thing down to metal. A friend of a friend
runs a large metal cleaning shop and I think I can work out a good cheap
"Hey man, can you dip my MG in that giant boiling vat of acid" deal with
him.

But I've hesitated, because I worry if a complete dip is too much. Having
never had an MGB apart to that level, I wonder, is that going to strip some
hidden recess on the frame that wouldnt get re covered with new primer? How
do you ensure the whole body gets covered? I have this image in my head of
bare metal in places like the inside of the strengthening rib on the
bonnet. etc.

Also, as long as I'm being crazy. Has anyone ever powder coated a chassis?

-Chris

| Chris Thompson                                      ct@cthompson.com |
| 1973 MGB                                    http://cthompson.com/mg/ |