Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)

To: "Leckstein" <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Subject: Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 16:29:30 -0500
From: "Leckstein" <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>:

>  Lately ,the popular mod is to install a Datsun 5 speed transmission. It
> gives the TD driver the best of both worlds. Another common mod to TCs is
> to install a Datsun steering box to replace the prehistoric Bishops cam.

This is a common problem, not only with the older MGs... but with all of our
British cars.  As we all know, overdrive didn't seem to be a popular option
here in the states or was too costly... while the majority of overseas cars
have O/D, and/or it was standardised sometime during production.  So those
without the option of extra electronically engaged gear ratios, must seek
other avenues such as gearbox conversions or weigh the cost of a gearbox
conversion against the cost of adding the proper overdrive.  Often the
gearbox conversion wins out...

But to the point.  This is not only a dilemma for your club, but a dilemma
I've been grappling with myself.  My 1974 TR6 is fairly original, but lacks
O/D... and isn't too pleasureful on high way trips.  So I decided that I'd
a) increase the performance first and then b) increase the drivability of
that performance with a gearbox conversion, and limited slip diff
conversion.  So after spending $2500 (so far) on the supercharger kit, I
decided that once I installed the gearbox conversion... that I wouldn't
really have a Triumph TR6 anymore.  I'd have a Triotasan TR6.

My decision wasn't based on any unreversable modifications, there was no
alterations required to any part of my TR6 to make any of these upgrades
work... they were all bolt in place to existing mounting locations.
However, even though I could, would I (or the next owner) ever take the time
to swap the stuff back when original cars are favoured against modified
ones?

The compromise... I'm going to keep my car original, with little
modification (things like tyres, alloy wheels, whatever do not concern me
much).  I'll be purchasing a rolling TR6 shell sometime in the future and
carry out all the work on that... I'll be keeping an original car original,
and saving a TR6 that otherwise would go to the crusher as most of it's
components (engine, gearbox, etc) have been lost sometime ago.  The gutless
TR6 will receive the spare motor I have w/ supercharger, the Toyota Supra
gearbox and the Nissan 300ZX LSD diff.

Now, onto more MG related stories.  Two weeks ago a friend of mine picked up
an MG PA for $100.  Yes a complete PA.  He called me over once he got it to
his garage and we went through it.  The car had been in a fire, but most of
the sheetmetal was undamaged and unwarped (and from what we could tell, most
of the chassis and it's components were unhurt also).  Someone did an engine
conversion though... and we have no clue what it is (Volvo is the best guess
thus far).  I phoned Lawrie and had a chat with him to help identify what it
could be, as we weren't even sure it was a PA at the time (thanks again
Lawrie!).

The problem arises when these T series cars end up being as old as that
PA... and they're only off by a decade now.  No one is going to take the
time to swap the parts back if the car is in relatively well upkeeping... a
full restoration is another story, but with fewer and fewer pre-MGA MGs
being found in barns and under tarps this is an unlikely scenario.  *IF*
that PA had it's correct drive train, it might have still been suitable for
a restoration... the panels were straight and rot free, aside from all the
pain being burned off.  The interior is ash though.

Right now, the future of this PA is to be parted out... a shame isn't it?

I also would take into consideration the production figures of the model...
obviously, right now I don't care what anyone does to any particular MGB...
so many were produced, and so many still exist it doesn't warrant any
purists or originalists complaining about the mutilation of the model.

KMR

--
Kai M. Radicke -- kai@radiohead.net
1974 Triumph TR-6S (Supercharged - guess I should change my .sig)