Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)

To: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maintaining the Breed, a dilema (long)
From: Dan DiBiase <d_dibiase@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2001 17:01:32 -0800 (PST)
Mike, great question. I would say, from a show perspective, that you would
need to have 2 classes for each category - 'stock' and 'modified' - the
latter category being for cars that have ANY modifications from the
original specification - TC directionals up to A's with 1800's and other
MGB internals... That would really be the only fair way to do it, both to
those that choose to keep their cars original to maintain the unique
character and to those that want to use their cars on a more regular basis
and on all types of roads and want it more modernized... You could
probably establish some criteria for each class, so that a car that did
not leave the factory with an O/D orignally could compete in the 'stock'
class - if it was the correct type of O/D. So, for example, a car could
have any option that was available on the car when new, even if it wasn't
on the car when it left the factory, and still compete in the 'stock'
class. Anything else, and it goes to 'modified'.

I thought back to the few shows I attended last year and while I didn't
necessarily examine every car for modifications, seems to me like it's
about a 50-50 split. The earlier cars seem to be the most 'pure' (at least
to my unexperienced eyes) but a lot of MGB's have wood door caps, wood
dash kits, etc. - all of which would mean 'modified' class, under my
scenario above.

My buck and a half......

=====
Dan DiBiase
Dayton, NJ
'76 MGB Tourer - Brooklands Green - My Driver!
'65 Pull-handle MGB Tourer - faded Tartan Red - My Project!
NAMGBR #5-2328