RE: MGB Air cleaner fitment

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>, MG list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Air cleaner fitment
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:34:33 -0800
Larry:

        This had been a problem since the brake servo cars came out.  A few
years ago K & N came out with a tapered filter design for the 1 1/2 SUs.  I
installed a set on an 80 MGB and was very happy to find that they fit well.
Moss has carried them since then, and I have heard of only a few problems
with interference.  Chances are installing new mounts or the correct motor
mount shims would solve those problems.  Since filtration in this conversion
was such a problem, I pushed hard to get the filters sourced and into the
catalog. (blowing own horn).  (More horn blowing, who do you think got Moss
to carry the Paeco exhaust systems?)  :)

        The filters are pricey, and have a unique thick cork mounting gasket
which may prove a sourcing problem in the future.  But they are the only
high flow filter that will bolt on and clear.  Best solution, short of
fabricating an airbox.

Kelvin.