New Motor

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: New Motor
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2001 10:51:17 +0000
OK, here we go... the run down to the wire.

You guys are going to have to go through this pain with me, alright?

The new motor is now bolted together and sitting, waiting to go into the
'B.  There is no way that I am going to attempt this myself, especially
as I have my first race this coming Sunday (or is it next Sunday in
America... well about seven days from now) and the thing needs to be in
and happy at least a few days before then.

Being my first engine transplant, if I tried and stuffed up anything I
would have little time to rectify any problems - maybe next time.
Remember, I only have a few hours each evening that I can work on the
car. My mechanic is going to drop the motor in on Tuesday - it still
needs a coat of paint or two - and I will drive it away on Wednesday.

This leaves me a few evenings to go for some long-ish drives before I
have to re-tension the head (and make sure everything else is tight and
ain't gonna fall off), then another day or so to try to run it in a bit
before the race.

I am getting more and more nervous, especially as this one was not all
that easy to build, seeing as I insisted on a few fancy, non-standard
bits and pieces that didn't want to go together first time.

Don't worry, I will keep you informed - right up to the time I blow it
up on the track (no...no...no..!).

I keep thinking of a fellow racer who last year blew his motor up in his
'B... put a new one in... then blew that up on the dyno before he even
got it out to the track!

Pessimist?  No... just nervous.

Eric
'68MGB MkII