Re: Club Membership (was Re: Very Interesting)

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Club Membership (was Re: Very Interesting)
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:15:08 -0500
At 08:19 PM 4/14/2001 +0000, Eric wrote:
>.... my local MG Car Club has over 600 members.  Now remember that this is
the club for the WHOLE State of South Australia (.... a population of just
1.5 million).

>.... would this size club be considered LARGE by standards elsewhere?

Yup, that's a pretty large "local" club by anyone's standards.  Just that
it doesn't sound exactly "local".

Here in the Chicago, Illinois, USA area we have a bit larger population
base that can be considered "local".  The city of Chicago alone is nearly
2.8 million people, with about that many more people residing in the
surrounding counties within 50 miles or so.  The Chicagoland MG Club
currently has a membership a little short of 400, but we are not the only
club around.  There are at least two dozen single mark British car clubs in
the Chicago area.  Additionally there are several other MG clubs dedicated
to single models.  Some folks prefer a smaller club and attention more
directly to their particular model, and we do have that type of diversity
here.

This used to be the Chicagoland MGB Club, a single model focus group.
About five years ago the club officially removed the "B" from the name and
is now actively soliciting the participation of all MG enthusiasts as a
single mark club.  Since then the club has been growing by leaps and
bounds, more than doubling in size and still growing rapidly.  Given a few
more years, I suspect it will exceed the membership of your "local" club.
Still, given your ratio of membership number to the population,  I suppose
our local club would need four or five thousand members to be comparable to
yours, which is not likely to ever happen, so I take my hat off to the
enthusiasm of your "local" group.

Barney Gaylord
Editor and Webmaster
Chicagoland MG Club