Spline Grease and Overdrive Lubrication

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spline Grease and Overdrive Lubrication
From: Eckersmg@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:13:04 EDT
Spline Grease
One thing that I just learned about the maintenance of the splines is to use
marine grade grease for lubrication.  It is my understanding that the marine
grade is more suited to staying put and not being washed out in wet weather
conditions.  This would lead to no grease and potentially rapid wear and
failure of those nicely balanced wire wheels.  (I am glad to have learned
this before I got to deal with the real life experience.)

Overdrive Lubrication
After checking the archives for overdrive information,  I could not find much
on the following:
1) The preferred lubricant for the overdrive (the same as the transmission,
Castrol GTX 20W-50?)
2) the additional volume required by the overdrive unit, or
3) more importantly the location of the fill hole (which is not diagrammed in
my 1974 Haynes manual).
My first assumption is that it is gravity fed by the transmission and that
would answer question one as well, but I would rather be humble than wrong.

TYIA
Charles
Newly painted pale primrose yellow 69 GT with a factory (?) slide back top.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list