RE: Early MGB rear panel

To: "'S & M Barnes'" <barnesms@swbell.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Early MGB rear panel
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 14:19:26 -0700
Mike:

        Early rear panels had lap seams that were lead filled.  The later
cars had a 90 degree flange that was spot welded from the inside and the
joint was left exposed.  All factory replacement panels are made using the
later tooling, so although they have the correct features, the seam is not
correct for early cars.  It's one of those little known facts that part
numbers don't tell you.

        You will want to trim the new panel and make lap seams that can be
readily MIG welded, leaving the original leaded lap seams intact.  The rear
seam can be butt welded if you are very careful, then the inside dressed.
Expertly done it will be very difficult to detect the repair.

good luck.

Kelvin.

> Working on replacing the severly battered rear panel
> including valence on our
> 1965B right now. The new panel is slightly different to the
> one fitted on the
> car, I assume it is for a later model. I have measured
> everything carefully,
> the fuel filler hole is in the same place and the bumper
> mount holes are in
> the same place but the seams where it joins to the car are different.
>
> On the new panel the seams are just outboard of the fuel
> filler hole, the old
> panel has the seams running through the centre of the fuel
> filler hole.
>
> I can't decide whether it is better to trim the new panel to
> fit the existing
> seams or trim the body of the car back to match the new panel.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list