Re: Overdrive Swap

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive Swap
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 07:55:02 -0700
Hmmm,

  Ther's nothing much in the solenoid but a whole lot of single-strand
wire.  The end of it is scraped clean and the stranded pigtail is
soldered to that.  I redid that joint when I installed a new pigtail.
Nothing much to be heat sensitive.  The solenoid does draw a lot of
current, so the connections must be clean and tight throuout the wiring
harness, both on the tranny and in the car.

  Just a thought, but the 1 - 2 lockout switch on the upper left of the
tranny is adjustable for depth in the hole, has to be adjusted
correctly.   If you have the prob again you can bypass the switch by
running a wire direct from the solenoid to the car's wire harness.  I
put an extra wire in my OD wire harness when I made it up for just that
purpose. (Now watch someone tell me that's a no-no. (G) )  I don't run
it that way, gang.  Anyhoo, when the case heats up, thermal expansion
could marginalize the switch closure.

  Cheers,

  CR

"Andrew B. Lundgren" wrote:

> I haven't noticed it this year, but I haven't been able to drive much, my
>windshield is off right now, but last year, when it was hot out and when the
>car was hot, the OD would not engage.  I let off the gas flipped the switch,
>gave it gas, but still not OD.  I had the entire thing rebuilt before I
>installed it last year.  (less than 1000 mils on it I would say) and when I
>drove the parts car I took it from, it was always cold and always worked.
>
> I thought maybe oil, I was running straight 30wt.  I switched to 20w50, but
>no difference...
>
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:
>
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> >   What makes you think the solenoid might be defective?  Maybe I can
> > help, BTDT.
> >
> >   Cheers,
> >
> >   CR
> >
> > "Andrew B. Lundgren" wrote:
> > >
> > > So did you wire it to tell you when the overdrive is really engaged, or
>just when the switch is flipped.  I have some converns about my solenoid being
>defective and would like to monitor it closely...

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list