Re: 5 Speed - Why? - Why not the engine swap?

To: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why? - Why not the engine swap?
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 19:30:37 -0400
May I just throw out a little few words on "parts transfers".  I think that
swapping bits in the same vintage years, or in same models, is sometimes
valid.  Thus an MG-TC fitted with a WWII Merlin engine would be acceptable
(now there's a vision) but dropping in small block Chevy would not.  So
keeping within ones "period" is desirable. - So no Miata engines in old
MGs, no six speed boxes, and no coffee cup holders!

At 10:55 AM 7/3/01 -0400, Matthew Trebelhorn wrote:
> >What I am not prepared to do is bastardise them by transplanting engines,
> >transmissions,differentials,or suspension from a different car into them.
> >Even if it doesn't show. An MGB engine in an MGA? No problem. Ribcase
> >transmission in an early Midget?Why not-along with a 1275  instead of
> >the 948that used to spit out its bearings with wallet-numbing regularity.
>
>I'm not sure I understand, Bill.  Do you or don't you?
>
>It seems like you're saying that you would allow an 1800 in an MGA, or a
>1275 in a bugeye, or for that matter, an overdrive transmission in a car
>that didn't come with one (which is where this started).
>
>All of these things are non-original, all visible if you know where to
>look, and several are even anachronistic -- putting newer parts in an
>older car to improve its function.
>
>Am I understanding you correctly?  Or was there intended sarcasm when you
>say that an MGB motor in an MGA was "no problem"?
>
>It's illegal in all kinds of race classes, will get you concours points
>deducted, and may, depending on the year of the motor you put in your MGA,
>get you in trouble with the DMV.  How is that not bastardized, modernized,
>modified, altered?
>
>Matt

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list