Re: 5 Speed - Why? - Why not the engine swap?

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Why? - Why not the engine swap?
From: matttrebelhorn@netscape.net (Matthew Trebelhorn)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:06:00 -0400
WSpohn4@aol.com wrote:
> barneymg@ntsource.com writes:
>>What I am not prepared to do is bastardise them by transplanting engines,
>....from a different car into them. Even if it doesn't show. An MGB engine
>  in an MGA? No problem. ....
>
> You've lost me for sure on this one. I'm sure an MGB engine was never in
>  an MGA from the factory. >>
>

>Didn't say it did.I wouldn't have much problem with Corvettes with a 327
>instead of283 or Mustangs with 302 instead of the harder to find 289,or a
>Jag XK140 with a 3.8engine either.These engines are from the successor to
>the transplantee (sometimes from the same model, built later).
>
>I don't mind an MGB engine in an MGA; I wouldn't like to see a Cortina or
> Volvo engine in one.
>
>I similarly have no problem with MGA1500 cars with disc brakes.I wouldn't
> want to see them with Mustang front ends.
>
> Not so hard to fathom, is it?
>
> Bill

Well, what about this.  MGBs came with two motors, the 4-cylinder that evolved
from the MGA unit, and the 3.5 v-8 that evolved from the 215c.i.
Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac motor of about 1960.  Over its lifespan, that v-8 has
been mated to everything from 3-speeds (b-o-p) to 5 (rover sedans), and
currently displaces 4.6 liters (range rover) with a very complicated electronic
engine management system.  That's a lot of options.

But, by your rules: 1. it's okay to build an MGB-v8; 2. it's okay to use a
different version of the motor; but 3. I have to use either an MGB 4-speed or
the original-type MGB automatic, because no other transmissions were ever
available from the factory in an MGB.

A Sierra 5-speed is beyond the pale, but a 4.6 (distributorless,
all-electronic) v-8 is o.k.?  Or maybe, since you limit yourself to one
displacement step (3.8, not 4.2, etc) you'd draw the line at the fuel-injected
4.0.

But never, ever, a 5-speed.

I'm confused.

Matt