Re: Fatest ever MG (500bhp, 0-100mph in 8.4!)

To: scott beavis <sbeavis@solartronanalytical.com>,
Subject: Re: Fatest ever MG (500bhp, 0-100mph in 8.4!)
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 12:23:33 -0400
It is so sad to see the same consumerism ploys being used for the MG as are
with every other damn thing out there.  No longer is the product
important.  Quality assessment is an art no longer possessed by the
sweating masses.  The logic behind the new MG competing against M5s, E55
and such is based purely on the premise that this will gain the maximum
sales advantage.  This because there are more old enthusiasts who remember
and love the MG than young sniffs reared on Honda, BMW etc.  Theory being
that the old chaps will buy the NEW MG instead of BMW, Merc, and such.  The
fact that the real MG was a cheap and cheerful blast-around-the-block ball
of sheer delight matters not.  They are not intent on continuing the MG
heritage but continuing the profit line from what ever they were doing
before.   Unfortunately modern consumption practices reduce the MG logo to
a marketing tool not as a mark (marque) of a fun sports car.  Why did we
never have a Dior car, or a Ralph Lauren motor-bike???