Re: 1 3/4" SU

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1 3/4" SU
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 20:26:42 +0930
Eric wrote:

> Can anyone who has gone up a size in SU carbs on an MGB (in my case
> 1968) let me know the result.  Good?  Bad?  Not worth the expense and
> effort?  Why did you do it?

OK, so far I have heard nothing BAD about making this 'improvement' to
HS6 (and thanks to all who have responded off-list), but then again I
haven't heard from Barney, Ed, Larry....

As I have said to others, I feel that the supply side of things is where
I have a bottleneck at the moment and that with the ported head and
massive valves and extractors/big exhaust, she should be able to handle
(want) more air and fuel.

Some have made me aware of the importance of correct needle choice, etc.
but no-one is saying "DON'T DO IT".

These things are now firmly on my shopping list (the limited slip diff
*will* happen) and I believe that they will ultimately lead me to achive
my lap-time objective for this year - with only a few events to go.  It
will also mean that I am still thousands of dollars ahead of others
getting similar times to me.

Unfortunately the pressure got to me and I have entered the little
Primrose 'B into our 'modified' class from now on.  There goes my
defence of the 'unmodified' class title from last year.  She is no-where
NEAR as 'modified' as most in this new (for me) class, so I now fall to
the bottom of the heap.

Oh well... I have my trophies and the title for 2000!

OK, race guys... what say you about the step 'up' to HS6 (1 3/4") carbs?

 Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia

///