Re: Black Plates A-Go-Go - Assembly Bill 834

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Black Plates A-Go-Go - Assembly Bill 834
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:40:54 -0700
This bill was discussed heavily on another list, and what turned up is the
fact that the owner first needs to find a matched pair of original old
black-and-yellow plates. To my mind, this bill seems mainly like a benefit
to license plate collectors, who now will have an eager market of car
collectors, rather than being limited to trading among their own limited
community. I mean, it's cool that you can potentially get correct period
plates for your drivable classic (or near classic), but you had better be
prepared to pay through the nose for them. Since the majority of these
plates were long ago turned in to DMV and destroyed, it's not like every
beater is suddenly going to be sporting them. In other words, I don't see it
as a major issue in terms of potential misrepresentation. After all, the
only real current benefit of an "original California black plate" car is
merely the period "look" (for CA residents)-- the plates themselves aren't
any guarantee of rust-free status or a good maintenance history. And if you
took it for that, you'd be a fool, even without the possibility of a
"re-plated" out-of-state car. (Not to mention it would hardly seem likely to
pay off shipping a Pennsylvania car to CA just to register it, buy "new" old
plates, and sell it to someone in New Jersey. But then if you can think of a
scam, someone is sure to have tried it.)

But I would agree that the rarity "bonus" of an original black plate car, in
terms of value, would probably be affected. But it's possible, if a "black
plate" craze catches on, and they wind up selling for a couple hundred
dollars a pair, that that would be reflected in the value of car with
existing black plates. Within California, of course.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

///