Re: Black Plates A-Go-Go - Assembly Bill 834

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Black Plates A-Go-Go - Assembly Bill 834
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:25:01 EDT
In 1997 when I went to the CA DMV to register my 1977 MGB after not having it
registered for eight years, I asked to keep the older blue-and-yellow plates
the car came with.  I was told three things:  1) If a car was originally
registered with black-and-yellow plates, the car could be registered again
with those plates,  2) if the car came with blue-and-yellow plates, it must
be registered anew with the current white-and-blue plates, and  3) if a car i
had not been registered in CA in seven years, all DMV records of the car are
wiped from the record (lucky for me or else I would have had to pay
horrendous late fees-DMV fees increase exponentially).

I'm curious if AB834 will turn black-and-yellow plates into "vanity" plates
as "vanity" plates cost considerably more to have on your vehicle; unless the
cars are considered classics and only have to pay classic registration fees.
Currently, cars with black-and-yellow plates only pay (I believe) about
$41/year in CA.  I paid $49 this year for registration, and $52 last year.

Steve Sanchez
1977 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list