Re: cbb vs rbb leaf spring question

To: CraigFaubel@aol.com
Subject: Re: cbb vs rbb leaf spring question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 08:19:29 -0400
Craig,
  At this time there is no way to accurately answer your question.You
probably have discarded the part # of the springs you ordered, and you
must have had some reason for ordering what you did at that time.  Leaf
springs came in so many variations and qualities from different suppliers
that you just can't ever be certain.
  My experience was that new leafs lifted the rear of my '72 GT so much
that I went to a spring shop to talk de-arching them or lowering blocks.
The owner was an MG owner who lifted the front of the car by hand to
demonstrate that the rear leafs (new) were OK and that the front coils
had also sagged over time.
 I installed new coils and then the whole car was high.  Called around
frantically, only to realise that the car looks just like the ones in the
shop manual---same wheel arch clearance. We get accustomed to seeing
these cars lower than MG built them.
  You probably need new front coils anyway. My suggestion is to install
them, then work out any height concerns at the rear.
Bob

On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 22:38:28 EDT CraigFaubel@aol.com writes:
> I have a 71 roadster (CBB), and many years ago I bought a set of leaf
> springs
> that I only recently installed (project car).  I recall when I
> ordered that
> there were two choices: 6 leafs and 7 leafs.  I chose the 7 leaf set
> and when
> I installed them I held them next to the old set (6 leafs) and
> compared the
> arch and eye placement, and they looked identical.  Now that they're
>
> installed, the car seems to sit higher than I remembered, (although
> it is
> basically a shell now) and I'm wondering if I could have put in a
> set of RBB
> springs.  Is this possible?  I heard that these may be for a GT due
> to the
> extra leaf, and not necessarily the RBB set.  Will it sit at the
> proper
> height only have stiffer rate?  Does anyone know?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list