Re: Strange running behavior

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Strange running behavior
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 15:44:21 -0700
My first guess would be that the fuel mixture is too rich. And if so, the
car would tend to run better when it was cold and get worse after warmed up
particularly if the car had been shut off for a very short period of time
or after idling.

David
67 BGT
72 B (under restoration)

At 12:34 PM 11/11/01 -0500, Craig D. Niederst wrote:
>My '71 B had been running poorly as of late (barely would run at all, not
>really drivable). I replaced the Bosch plugs in it yesterday with new
>Champion ones, and it fired right up and ran great. The old plugs did not
>look too bad (but were covered in gas), and were only maybe a year old (<500
>miles on them). So I let the car idle for awhile, and everything is OK for
>30 minutes or so (the car did smoke (blue) for the first 15 minutes or so,
>never did that before). Then it stumbles a bit, and dies. Temp gauge read in
>the normal range, oil pressure was a tick under 50 at warm idle (normal for
>the car). Car would not restart immediately, and made no sign of turning
>over. Left it sit for 15 minutes with hood up, and after much cranking, it
>turned over and ran great again (no blue smoke this time). Close the hood,
>and car quickly stumbles and almost dies until I reopen the hood quickly,
>then it runs fine again. When I took the B for a quick jaunt (great top down
>weather, sunny and about 60), it ran great while moving, but would stumble
>if stationary at idle for any time. The radiator fan is working fine, and
>the temperature gauge is not reading hot. Any ideas? TIA.
>
>Craig
>'71 B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list