Strange running behavior

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange running behavior
From: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 12:34:50 -0500
My '71 B had been running poorly as of late (barely would run at all, not
really drivable). I replaced the Bosch plugs in it yesterday with new
Champion ones, and it fired right up and ran great. The old plugs did not
look too bad (but were covered in gas), and were only maybe a year old (<500
miles on them). So I let the car idle for awhile, and everything is OK for
30 minutes or so (the car did smoke (blue) for the first 15 minutes or so,
never did that before). Then it stumbles a bit, and dies. Temp gauge read in
the normal range, oil pressure was a tick under 50 at warm idle (normal for
the car). Car would not restart immediately, and made no sign of turning
over. Left it sit for 15 minutes with hood up, and after much cranking, it
turned over and ran great again (no blue smoke this time). Close the hood,
and car quickly stumbles and almost dies until I reopen the hood quickly,
then it runs fine again. When I took the B for a quick jaunt (great top down
weather, sunny and about 60), it ran great while moving, but would stumble
if stationary at idle for any time. The radiator fan is working fine, and
the temperature gauge is not reading hot. Any ideas? TIA.

Craig
'71 B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list