Re: Which tire for my MG?

To: MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Which tire for my MG?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 13:35:41 +1030
"Paul T. Root" wrote:

> > Unfortunately, from all reports (owner survey at Tire Rack), it doesn't
>quite fit
> > your criteria, since it IS a high performance tire, great dry road tire,
>works
> > almost as well in the wet as in the dry, even works well in light snow,
>quiet
> > ride....in short, a true modern miracle. It will definitely be the tire of
>choice for
> > my GT next spring in a plus size, 195/60x15.
>
> Sounds pretty nice. I was thinking of getting some Yokohama's as I've
> had such good luck with them. Will 195 fit on the wheels? They must
> be 6in wide? Panasports?

To answer your "will they fit" question, I currently run Yokohama A509
195/60 as street tyres on my standard 14x5" Rostyle rims. The tyres
themselves are beyond what you are looking at paying (but if you invest
a little more you might be surprised at the big difference in all
aspects of your car's handling).  They are great roadholders, I love
them. I think the A509s have been superceded so check with your dealer
but they wouldn't be much more expensive than $US60/70 and I am so glad
I moved away from supa-cheap tyres to a quality product.

I raced half the last season on Potenza 205/60 (the Japanese soft
compound version) on 15x5.5" rims (they *do* fit... but just) - it was
an experiment in the wide tyres and I ran them on 15" rims because I got
them cheap and that is the size they came in second hand.  For this
coming season I go back to 14" rims and I was so impressed with the
Potenzas that I will buy myself a new set (for the 14" rims) at just
over $AU300 each.

You can see the big, blocky Potenzas on the bottom section of this page
http://www.autospeed.co.nz/A_0593/P_4/article.html

The Yokohama A032R at the top of that page looks impressive but has a
price tag of $AU455 - wow, above even *my* budget :-)

I will keep using the Yokohamas for street tyres (the Potenzas are too
soft and expensive to ruin on the roads:-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

///