Re: 4 wheel disc brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 wheel disc brakes
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:36:35 EST
In a message dated 12/30/01 9:20:47 AM Pacific Standard Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> WHY ?<< When I said that I'd
> like to switch to a 4-wheel disc brake system, 1.)the main reason is
> probably
> to help minimize brake fade and overheating which could result in less
> brake
> response and 2.) my ability to optimize the use of my rear brakes as
> another
> means of vehicle control or stability, in case of rear wheel drift, etc.
> 3.)
> aesthetically, they(disc brakes) just look more "race car" like than the
> conventional drum brakes.

I suspect that #3 is what really rings your bell, as 2 lacks validity and 1
would only apply in serious racing, and you wouldn't be allowed to run rear
discs on an MGB in any sort of racing that I know of. If you were seriously
going to race the car in vintage, for instance, the first thing to do is sell
the 78 and buy an earlier car to work with anyway - one that handles and has
a decent engine. Why head for a horse race on a 3 legged mule? Sure you could
spend lots of money and get the old mule in shape to actually run, but unless
automotive masochism is your fancy, why bother?

My advice - save yourself the trouble and keep the perfectly adequate rear
drums (although you may want to change the cylinders to balance the system
and prevent premature rear lock-up as per generally accepted racing practice
for these cars).

And at least you'll still have a working parking brake!

Bill
(3 MGs, 2 of them 4 wheel disc)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list