Today it drives!!! Of course have new problems...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Today it drives!!! Of course have new problems...
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:40:28 -0600
Hi all,

I ran to NAPA this morning and bought the NAPA 1374 filter.  I got home and
installed it, replaced the oil, and started the motor and ran the "B" for
about a minute.  After looking for spilled fluids, I placed a landscaping
timber in the driveway about five feet in front of the car to stop the car
if the brakes didn't work.

I put the car in 1st and it moved forwards under its own power for the
first time in ten years.  Plenty of power and the brakes stopped the
car.  It does feel like the front brakes are dragging as the car does not
roll easy, and turning them when the car was on jack stands seem to be more
difficult than normal.  I put the car in reverse and the car backed up fine
as well.

After letting it warm up I put the choke in and revved the engine a few
times, it still popped a little though the carb but was responsive.  The
smoke out of the tailpipe or anywhere else had stopped (YEA!!!!) and
everything seemed fine.  The Water temp gauge is broken, instead of 0 it is
stuck on 180, I don't know if the needle is stuck or if the whole gauge is bad.

I got a little daring and decided to try to drive it down the street and
back.  (kind of a small victory lap for the small victory in getting it
started.)  Well that didn't work, it drove down the driveway with plenty of
power, but once I got to the dip at the bottom, it almost died.  It would
not let me rev the engine anymore without coming close to stalling or
backfiring through the carbs.  I stopped the car and started it again and
it let me run it above idle long enough to  back it up the driveway.  I
stopped the car, looked for leaks and such and didn't see or smell
anything.  I started the car again and I had plenty of power to back it
in.  I let the car idle for about 20 minute and everything seemed fine then
it started to run uneven so I turned it off.

I'm guessing a couple of problems.  First I think that there may be a fuel
starvation issue that started from more gunk coming out of the tank or the
fuel pump is not delivering enough pressure.  I would think that would
explain the stalling until I restart.  When I restart the car, the pump has
the opportunity to pressure up the system, but can't keep that pressure one
running.

I think the uneven running is either bad timing or possible the plugs
fowled from the junk it was burning through.  SO I will pull the plus again
and check the timing.

On the transmission shifter housing there I have the ball cover that looks
like an inverted bowl, there are three bolts that seem to be there to hold
the cover on, but they are not (nor can be) bolted all the way down.  Is
this right, the exploded transmission picture in the Moss and Vicky Brit
catalog does not show bolts for the 67 transmission but it seems to use a
clip.  I see the later style uses screws, but it does not use the bowl
shaped cover but instead a flat one.  Can that area be
Frankensteined?  There is an extra shifter and drive shaft in the trunk,
and we know I have the later engine, but the early starter.

As for the brakes, where do I need to go from here, I don't have the money
for a brake job right now unless I have to, should I spray everything with
brake cleaner and try to brake everything free?  The pedal passed the
hard/hard test.

Thanks again, I have only had the car 13 days and it is running!!!!  Heck,
the manuals I ordered the night I bought the car aren't even here
yet.   Despite the potential censure of the awards committee, I could not
have gotten this far without this list and I thank everyone for the help to
date.

Be good,
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert
1967 MGB

New Website!!!!  All New Format!!! All New Location!!!!
http://carport.virtualave.net/

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///