Remove or cover surface rust???

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Remove or cover surface rust???
From: kpdii@softhome.net
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 17:56:48 GMT
I am looking at my to do list and am trying to figure out which way to go on
the underside and interior of the car.  As I said earlier the car has no
major rust, but there is a great deal of surface rust.  I really want to
treat and cover that metal before it becomes a problem.  This is especially
true in the interior, trunk, and undersides of the car.

I know that there are several ways to proceed with removing the rust and
painting with rustoleum.  The other option is going the POR-15, RustMort, or
Corroless route and I understand that those really need a little rust to
adhere correctly.  I also know that if I use it in the interior, I need to
be sure to paint over it as they are UV sensitive.

Some on the Sprite list say that even though there have been many good
reports for other cars, POR-15 isn't a good choice for LBC's this for some
metallurgical reason that was not explained.  Has anyone else had problems?

Finally, I am planning on sanding and wire brushing off the rust.  Does
anyone think chemical means are better?  Anything I haven't thought about.

Thanks
Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert
1967 MGB

New Website!!!!  All New Format!!! All New Location!!!!
http://carport.virtualave.net/

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///