Re: Valve Tick Tick / Valve Recession

To: "Max Heim" <mvheim@attbi.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Tick Tick / Valve Recession
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:42:41 -0000
Ditto, and that was when using leaded.  Eventually I determined to try and
find out what was happening, and discovered that, on my engine anyway, the
gap was either increasing or decreasing, depending on the valve, as the cam
passed through the classic 'rule of nine' point on several valves.  Now
unless I could guarantee that I always check each valve in *exactly* the
same place each time the measured gaps are bound to show differences
(tighter or looser) at each check.  If I set the gap at the loosest point
they are quieter than if I set it by strict 'rule of nine', but I do wonder
if that makes them too tight.  A little noise is preferable to a head job.