Re: New Fuel Pump

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Fuel Pump
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:45:28 -0800
Word on the street is Smitty said:
> Question:  Before this occurs again I'm going to purchase a new fuel pump.
> Yesterday was just a warning but next time it may not correct itself.  Do you
> suggest staying with the same type of SU fuel pump (Moss 377-165) or is it
> better to go ahead and purchase an SU solid state fuel pump with modern
> reliable electronic solid state switching (Moss 377-255)?  I'm going to order
> one immediately so any advise would be great.  Thank you.

The original points-type pump works pretty darn well - as an added
bonus, when they start to "go" they will tell you just how they did to
you yesterday:  they'll stop working, but a little tap will get them
going again, and probably be OK for quite a while, plenty of time to fix
it or get a new one.  With the electronic pumps, usually when they go,
thats it, you're stranded.

In any case I'd inspect your old pump, maybe it just needs new points,
fix it up and keep it as a spare.  Put it in the boot for cross-country
trips...

Skye
66 B

///