Re: New Fuel Pump

To: "Smitty" <smitty29832@msn.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Fuel Pump
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:27:46 -0000
I'm with Skye.  I had a 'pointless' pump but have swapped a refurbed
points-type back in as the pointless was intermittently failing, and you
just have to wait till it decides to start working again before you can
proceed.  With the points-type a knock will usually get it going again -
that is if switching the ignition on and off a few times doesn't work.

How do we know the pointless type are reliable?  They haven't been out long
enough or used widely enough.  It's all very well to say "It's the points
that usually fail so if they haven't got points they can't fail" but what
replaces them is an unknown quantity.

Tip:  If you have a non-emissions engine then before you change the pump
take it out for a run for about 20 mins beforehand.  That should develop a
little vacuum in the tank, even with the vented cap, and that will stop fuel
siphoning out when you disconnect the hoses.  If you have an RB it shouldn't
be a problem as you can keep the pump and hose ends high enough, but a low
tank level helps.