Re: MGB Improvements

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Improvements
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:26:07 +1030
Lawrie Alexander wrote:

> FWIW, one of my wealthier customers some years ago tried every different air
> cleaner available (four different types, including the expensive K & Ns) on
> his otherwise stock MGB. He carefully measured performance (time to
> accelerate between two fixed landmarks) and fuel economy with each set,
> comparing the data to the numbers as delivered with the original, factory
> air cleaners. He was surprised by the results of the test - and gave me back
> all the aftermarket ones. 'Twould appear the factory engineers were smarter
> than some people nowadays give them credit for being.........

When I can afford to run the car on the dyno again (after buying the
Pipercross filters and prepping for the first race of the season on
March 10th:-) I will send you the data.

My (only very slightly modified) '68B tested almost 10hp more when the
(SU) airfilters were removed.

With the little ram tubes and Pipercross filter I can very noticably
feel an improvement in throttle response and 'pull' after 5500 revs.  I
will also let you know if I get to my top-end speed faster on the track
(she used to really 'hit-the-wall' after 5500 revs with the 'standard'
filters on).  In fact, with such short straights, I could only get up to
90mph or so because she did seem to be 'gagging' for air/fuel.

I find it hard around my place to try her out above 80mph (which is
30mph already above the limit on the fastes bit of road close at hand -
and close to 15mph faster than our 'open speed limit' here.

BTW there is a good chance that I will make the decision to take the
Pipercross filter off and just run with the open ram tubes (with
suitably cranked up fuel flow) when more air is never enough!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII

///